Thursday, November 7, 2013

November Days

Crows conversing in one of our trees..."Two crows mean joy"


Willow finds a soft place to nap in the clean laundry : )
Elfing
November is a month of spectacular sunsets at my house.

It's November.♥  These days I am:
  • Reading: short stories by great authors. Last week I read Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man is Hard to Find and James Joyce's Araby. This week I finished The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy and King of the Bingo Game by Ralph Ellison. I'm also doing a slow and careful reading of The Way of a Pilgrim. The annotations in the copy I am reading are excellent. I highly recommend this book.
  • Bundling up: to walk in my favorite woods with the dogs.
  • Elfing: I'm knitting everyone in my family slippers using this free pattern. The pair in the above photo I knit for myself. They take two balls of Cascade 220 or Patons Classic Wool. These are the coziest slippers ever! They stay on, fit perfectly, and are squishy soft and warm. The pattern is a good one--simple and easy to follow. It gives directions for knitting the slippers flat w/a seam, but I am knitting them in the round.
  • Singing: in my church's choir. 
  • Cheering: the Red Sox and their World Series win. My nephew and his cousin came up last weekend for a visit, and all of the men at my house took the train to Boston for the victory parade.
  • Shopping: for my daughter Emmeline's birthday. She turns thirteen on Monday.
  • Listening: to Christmas music every night after dinner. : ) 
  • Thanking God: for my husband. He works long, hard hours and travels frequently (this week he's in Belgium) and has provided me with all that I have: children, house, pets, food, clothing, knitting yarn, books, and lots and lots of love.






















































6 comments:

  1. Willow is so cute - they just love the warm laundry! Except that the last time, Dolly sneezed on a sheet, and I had to re-wash it. :D
    Will your husband bring you some Belgian chocolates? For Christmas, maybe??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I hope he brings me some chocolate, Lisa! He usually does. : ) Although, after all the Halloween candy, I think I've gained a few pounds.

      Delete
  2. I love the word elving, so sweet. I too am grateful for my husband and the cozy life we have created over the years.

    I have been holding off on the Christmas music but now that I know you are listening....well I might as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was growing up my parents didn't allow Christmas music until after Thanksgiving.

      I do try to wait until after Halloween! ; )

      Delete
  3. Well that's odd, I was sure I commented here ... Maybe I just dreamed it! Happiest of happy birthdays to your girl of the beautiful name. Thirteen is a wonderful age, I'll bet she's excited at becoming a Teenager :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willow is a beauty! She looks so content; last week Ophelia slept on a sweater I laid out to dry. I just washed it again as I didn't have the heart to kick her off. I hope you get those creamy wonderful Belgian chocolates. :-) As usual, you have picked another great pattern. I love simple classics and you seem to have a gift for finding those.

    ReplyDelete